Your Cart is Currently Empty
The Best Natural and Organic Solid Shampoo Soap Bars
As more of us seek to live sustainably, shampoo soap bars are rising in popularity. Increasing numbers of us are shunning traditional shampoo and conditioners - and their heavy plastic bottles - in favor of soap bars. There are many good reasons for doing this, not least because it is an easy way to do your part for the planet.
What are the benefits of using solid shampoo and soap bars?
1. The most obvious reason for making the switch is that solid soap bars are environmentally friendly because they use extremely limited packaging. Forget your plastic bottle of shampoo with a separate conditioner or your hand soap complete with plastic bottle and plastic pump. Soap bars often have very little or no packaging at all, which, given the impact we all know bottles can have on the environment, makes them a no-brainer. Overall, shampoo soap bars have a smaller carbon footprint, too.
2. Solid shampoo soap bars take up far less space in your bathroom, meaning it is likely to look a lot less cluttered and a lot more minimalist chic.
3. Shampoo and soap bars tend to be more concentrated, mainly because they do not contain water. Often, bottled shampoo and conditioners contain water, which can dilute the positive ingredients inside of it. Bar shampoos should be rubbed straight onto the hair and scalp, meaning you are more likely to build up to the required amount. This usually means less waste, making them last longer.
4. Shampoo soap bars are far easier to take away with you on vacations and road trips. Compact and lightweight, you won’t need to think about decanting products into smaller bottles or worry about the dreaded spillage all over your suitcase or backpack. It’s no surprise that they have long been a favorite among backpackers.
5. Soap and shampoo bars can be very versatile and used for lots of different tasks. For example, take a shampoo bar on vacation and you not only have a shampoo but it can double up as a body wash, shaving foam and stain remover for clothes.
What are the best solid shampoo soap bars?
Now that we know why shampoo soap bars are so popular right now, let’s look at some of the best ones out there. Alongside the desire for a more sustainable life comes a quest to find natural and organic products that are free of parabens, chemicals and other potentially toxic ingredients. Many soap bars contain natural ingredients and can be used in a multitude of ways, including as a shampoo, body wash and even face wash. Here are some of the best ingredients to look out for when choosing a solid shampoo soap bar:-
Shea butter and coconut oil
Look for bars that contain organic ingredients such as shea butter and coconut oil, which hydrate hair. Try the All Natural Coconut Handmade Soap, which includes both coconut and shea butter for an amazing fragrance and intense hydration.
Look for shampoo soap bars with glycerin that has been derived from natural sources. Synthetically-created glycerin is often frowned upon, but natural glycerin can be found in animal fats and plant oils like shea butter. It is used in many haircare products because it acts as a humectant,, which means it can attract and hold moisture. This allows it to deeply nourish and condition hair, especially hair that is dry, frizzy and prone to breakage.
Seek out shampoo bars that contain olive oil. Not just for drizzling on salads or roasting vegetables, olive oil has well-known benefits for hair. It contains three forms of emollients that can soften the hair and make it silkier and shinier. As a type of monounsaturated fat, it can be easily absorbed into the hair to lock in moisture. It also has a soothing and hydrating effect on the scalp.
If you are looking to treat dandruff or any kind of fungal infection of the scalp, try pine tar. Pine tar has microbial properties to help treat infections. It is also deeply cleansing and hydrating. Try Grandpa’s Pine Tar Bar Soap 3.25OZ. This soap bar can be used on the face, body and hair and is 100 percent natural.
Avocado is not just great on toast; avocado oil also has benefits for our hair. It is a great source of vitamins B and E, which leave hair soft and shiny. It is also considered a more lightweight oil, meaning it will not weigh the hair down or leave a heavy residue behind.